With school starting, many of us are challenged by tight budgets and the need to swap out our summer decorations for fall inspired creations. With these paper mache bowls you can upscale any space and still keep pennies in the bank. These bowls are excellent creations for tablescapes, storage solutions, or decorative side pieces. By adding a little paint you can make the perfect accent for any season!
Water for paste
Spray Sealer (Recommended, but optional!)
Kitchen bowl as form
1) Cover the bottom of the bowl you have chosen with plastic wrap, and wrap it over the rim. Make a paste of flour and water until it is the consistency of pudding. Tear up small pieces of newspaper or other recycled paper from your home.
2) Dip the paper into the paste and apply a layer to the outside of the bowl. Build up the layer until the plastic wrap is completely covered. Let dry overnight. Repeat until you have several layers for strength. Let dry. Remove from the bowl form and remove the plastic wrap.
3) Use scissors to cut a clean edge around the rim of your paper mache bowl. Consider using a primer on the bowl first to block out any print or colors. Let dry. Paint with craft paints in your chosen colors. Don’t forget to consider metallic paints, a different color for the inside and outside of the bowl, or to add pattern. You can stamp and stencil, create freehand designs, or print a word around the rim that carries meaning for you. Use your creativity and dress it up to the style of your home!
4) Spray finished bowls with a sealer you can pick up at any craft store.
5) Now fill your bowl and enjoy years of decorative style you can be proud of! Don’t forget to experiment with different types of paper, adding paint to the glue, using white tissue paper, or using a faux stone paint finish. Let your creativity run wild. If you don’t like it, repaint it!