Homemade Mother’s Day – Straight from the Heart
All right, dads and kids, listen up! Mother’s Day is just around the corner, and this year it’s important to remember the date so you have time to plan! May 10th is the important day on the calendar. It’s not just about mothers, but grandmothers, stepmothers, godmothers and any other important person in your life who is like a mother to you. It’s time to get your hands messy and make a wonderful handmade gift that will hold a special place in your mother’s heart from this day forward. Here are some great ideas to get you started.
Say it with Clay
A beautiful clay heart necklace or thumbprint necklace is sure to charm Mom this year. This is a simple project, but one that will remain close by throughout the year.
Polymer clay – this is craft clay and can be baked
Cookie cutters – the smaller the better because it will be a necklace so be careful you don’t go too big. You can skip this part altogether if you want to form your heart by hand.
Toothpick or knitting needle
Roller, if needed – metal or plastic works best so the clay won’t stick
Now the fun begins! Directions:
- Knead the clay for 2 minutes or per package directions
- Roll the clay until it’s ¼ to ½ inch thick
- Using your cookie cutter, cut out a heart from the clay
- Being very careful not to smash the heart with your hands, stick a toothpick or knitting needle through the clay
- Remove the needle or toothpick and check to make sure the hole will fit the chain or rope you want to feed through it after it has finished baking
- Place on cookie mat or parchment paper and bake based on instructions of clay. Typically, it’s 275 degrees for 15 minutes. Make sure the clay is fully cooled before handling.
Once it has completely cooled, you can paint the clay in Mom’s favorite color. Feed the string, chair twine or whatever you choose as the necklace through the clay and wrap in a pretty package.
Stepping Stone of Love
Customized stepping stones to the garden, backyard or even driveway will be a great way to surprise Mom this year. From now on Mom will remember all the love you shared with these great tokens that express how much you care.
- Quick drying concrete mix
- Aluminum pan or silicone mold of your choice
- Cooking oil spray
- Gems, mementos, colored rocks or accent pieces
- Spray your mold with cooking spray
- Mix the quick drying concrete
- Pour concrete into mold
Now it’s time to decorate. You can write sayings on the stone, add colored rocks or accent pieces to it, or even make a hand or footprint. If you want to make a hand or foot print, spray your hands or feet with the cooking spray to make sure you leave a clean impression.
Let the stone dry completely based on concrete instructions and remove gently from mold to prevent breaking. Place the stones for Mom to see!